Who’s taking part in the New Materials Zone

I’m a Scientist, Get me out of here! is back this November. Between the 5th and the 16th, students at 13 schools will be putting their questions to 6 scientists in the New Materials Zone.

For the latest news and announcements about the event find us on Twitter, @imascientist, and follow the hashtag, #IASIE.

The New Materials Zone is supported by Science Foundation Ireland.

Meet the scientists:

Tríona Kennedy | Industry and private sector, Stryker Ireland

I use 3D metal printers to make parts for the spine, hips, knees and other parts of the body.

Simone Iadanza | PhD Student, Cork Institute of Technology

I build very small structures on pieces of thin flattened material that are then used to better trap light and release it as a laser beam.

Kieran Joyce | PhD Student, CURAM, NUI Galway

I design medical devices to replace the discs in the spine when they wear down as we get older.

Julia Savioli | PhD Student, Trinity College Dublin

I use supercomputers to simulate and investigate the behaviour of new materials that can convert oxygen (from the air we breathe!) into electricity.

Hugh Manning | Postdoctoral, AMBER, Trinity College Dublin

I use lots of tiny silver wires that all connect together like spaghetti to make things like touch screens, solar cells, transparent heaters…

Emily Growney Kalaf | Postdoctoral, National University of Ireland Galway

How to train your robot – I am looking at how to make brain implants that can think and remember just like the brain does!

The Schools

• The Kings Hospital, Dublin
  • St Caimin’s Community School, Clare
  • Scoil Mhuire, Galway
  • S N An Phairtin Mixed, Clare
  • Our Lady Queen Of Apostles, Dublin
  • Moyle Park College, Dublin
  • Mount Anville Secondary School, Dublin
  • Coola Post Primary School, Sligo
  • Coláiste Naomh Feichín, Galway
  • Coláiste Éanna, Dublin
  • Coláiste Chilliain, Dublin
  • Coláiste Bríde, Dublin
  • Coláiste Bhaile Chláir, Galway
Posted on October 29, 2018 by in News. Leave a comment